Software Defined Radio Systems
PPM Systems designs and manufactures software defined/configurable radio platforms, including the NEW Crossbow appliance.
Software-Defined Radio (SDR) is predicted to become the dominant technology in radio communications, with many advantages over more traditional radio systems including:
- Significantly wider operating ranges from low MHz to GHz.
- High instantaneous bandwidth by combining RF streams within the software domain.
- Increased operating freedom, the adaptive nature of SDR allows self-monitoring and dynamic reconfiguration to optimise performance in the field.
- Reduced total cost of ownership; replacing multiple traditional radio sets with a single hardware platform, able to support multiple end-use applications.
- The protocol agnostic RF front ends allows software to determine, decode and encode to any protocol required on the fly.
Crossbow - NEW
Situational awareness – for when you really need to know!
The Crossbow multi-role software defined radio scanning/decoding system is designed to provide special operations users with actionable, real-time, mission-critical data on the electromagnetic environment. It allows users to operate safely and delivers a strategic advantage.
The appliance delivers decoding, analysis, recording and processing of off-air data for customisable user applications with data protected and secured on an encrypted solid state drive.
- Reconfigurable user interface
- Local or remote antennas
- Can be re-tasked in the field for ongoing changeable missions
- Multi-channel RF front end
- Rugged outdoor Military standard unit with daylight readable touch screen display
- Standard LIPS 10/12 battery powered.
PPM’s SDR platforms also integrate seamlessly with the RF over fibre solutions, proving a complete end-to-end solution for users.
We provide a rapid prototype, evaluation and short run production capability, combined with a technical partnership with the user; COTS, MOTS and fully custom solutions for military and defence users.
Rodent 4 Antenna Platform
Fibre Optic Dual Remote Antenna System
Rodent 4 is a wide-band dual band remote antenna detection system, fibre optically linked. It is typically deployed to the target zone using a remote controlled vehicle (RCV) but can also be hand-carried. It provides a convenient way to deploy Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) antennas over hundreds of metres, allowing personnel to remain at a safe distance from the targeted zone.
The system is designed with the capability to communicate to the remote head. Wideband RF over fibre links are employed to transmit RF signals from the remote antenna platform back to receiving equipment. This receiving equipment can be mounted in a vehicle or can be dismounted.
Key parameters include excellent sensitivity and wide spurious free dynamic range, together with the ability to work in extreme environmental conditions. PPM designed and manufactured the system using its skills in RF, optoelectronic and antenna/filter design, together with rapid prototyping/manufacturing capabilities.
Rodent 4 replaces Rodent III (Rodent 3).
Vehicle and police imagery – Crown Copyright.