Fibre Optic and RF Systems
PPM Systems designs and manufactures RF over fibre systems.
Carrying RF signals over fibre has many advantages including:
- Wide bandwidth
- Path length to 30km
- EMC & EMP resilient
- Light-weight and man portable.
Fibre optically linked remote antenna platforms, such as Rodent 4, remote several antennas (operating in different bands) over very long distances without any signal loss or degradation.
PPM Systems provides a rapid prototype, evaluation and short run production capability combined with a technical partnership with the customer – COTS, MOTS and fully custom solutions for military and defence customers. Find out more about our systems integration capabilities here.
Typical applications of RF over Fibre include VLF/HF through VHF/UHF to satellite band transmissions. Radio-over-fibre range from PPM Systems is widely deployed in defence scenarios such as:
- Surveillance & signal intelligence (SigInt)
- Tactical radio links (VLF, HF, VHF, UHF, GSM, Tetra, P25)
- IED detection & force protection
- VSAT / satellite communications
- Sonar & communication buoys
- Secure network data centres (MSF/DCF, GPS, DVB-T, GSM, Tetra)
- OEM military equipment.
Rodent 4 Antenna Platform
Fibre Optic Dual Remote Antenna System
Rodent 4 is a wide-band dual band remote antenna detection system, fibre optically linked. It is typically deployed to the target zone using a remote controlled vehicle (RCV) but can also be hand-carried. It provides a convenient way to deploy Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) antennas over hundreds of metres, allowing personnel to remain at a safe distance from the targeted zone.
The system is designed with the capability to communicate to the remote head. Wideband RF over fibre links are employed to transmit RF signals from the remote antenna platform back to receiving equipment. This receiving equipment can be mounted in a vehicle or can be dismounted.
Key parameters include excellent sensitivity and wide spurious free dynamic range, together with the ability to work in extreme environmental conditions. PPM designed and manufactured the system using its skills in RF, optoelectronic and antenna/filter design, together with rapid prototyping/manufacturing capabilities.
Rodent 4 replaces Rodent III (Rodent 3).
Military Comms & Range Extension
- RF system and Radio-over-Fibre design
- Ruggedised equipment including optical cable and connectivity
- Specialist antennas and probes
- Electromagnetically shielded equipment
- Urgent operational requirement (UOR) experience
- Rapid prototyping and short run production.
Typical Application: Tactical HQ Remote Antennas
In an application such as a Tactical HQ or Forward Operating Base (FOB), RF over fibre can be used to re-position communication antennas well outside the Tactical Area of Responsibility (TAOR). This provides the following benefits:
- Radio range improved from “hill top” located antenna
- Removes “co-site” antenna interference
- Electromagnetic stealth for HQ / FOB
- Encrypted radio assets remain within the TAOR
- Rapid field deployment
- Urban and over-the-hill coverage from Aerostat or Helikite mounted antennas
- Low signal loss, for operation from a few metres to 30km
- Man-portable equipment available, small and lightweight.
SIGINT RF over Fibre Links
GPS/GNSS RF over Fibre Links
ViaLite RF over Fibre Systems
ViaLite RF over fibre allows link distances of up to 100 km in a single hop. Rapid single fibre deployment systems and covert housings can be provided to meet the requirements of Special Forces for deploy and forget observation posts. A range of further RF over fibre links are available for varying applications.
Wave division multiplexing techniques, such as DWDM, allow up to 96 signals on a single optical fibre while maintaining signal quality and isolation.