Fibre for Military Operations
PPM Systems provides a rapid prototype, evaluation and short run production capability combined with a technical partnership with the customer – COTS, MOTS and fully custom solutions for military and defence customers.
Carrying RF signals over fibre has many advantages including:
- Wide bandwidth
- Path length to 30km
- INFOSEC & Tempest compliant. (no emissions/immunity issues)
- EMC & EMP resilient
- Light-weight and man portable.
Typical applications of RF over Fibre include VLF/HF through VHF/UHF to satellite band transmissions. Radio-over-fibre range from PPM Systems is widely deployed in defence scenarios such as:
- Surveillance & signal intelligence (SigInt)
- Tactical radio links (VLF, HF, VHF, UHF, GSM, Tetra, P25)
- IED detection & force protection
- VSAT / satellite communications
- Sonar & communication buoys
- Secure network data centres (MSF/DCF, GPS, DVB-T, GSM, Tetra)
- OEM military equipment.
Tactical HQ Remote Antennas
In an application such as a Tactical HQ or Forward Operating Base (FOB), RF over fibre can be used to re-position communication antennas well outside the Tactical Area of Responsibility (TAOR). This provides the following benefits:
- Radio range improved from “hill top” located antenna
- Removes “co-site” antenna interference
- Electromagnetic stealth for HQ / FOB
- Encrypted radio assets remain within the TAOR
- Rapid field deployment
- Urban and over-the-hill coverage from Aerostat or Helikite mounted antennas
- Low signal loss, for operation from a few metres to 30km
- Man-portable equipment available, small and lightweight.
- RF system and Radio-over-Fibre design
- Ruggedised equipment including optical cable and connectivity
- Specialist antennas and probes
- Electromagnetically shielded equipment
- Urgent operational requirement (UOR) experience
- Rapid prototyping and short run production