Fibre optic and RF systems
PPM Systems provides a rapid prototype, evaluation and short run production capability combined with a technical partnership with the customer – COTS, MOTS and fully custom solutions for military and defence customers.
Carrying RF signals over fibre has many advantages including:
- Wide bandwidth
- Path length to 30km
- INFOSEC & Tempest compliant. (no emissions/immunity issues)
- EMC & EMP resilient
- Light-weight and man portable.
Typical applications of RF over Fibre include VLF/HF through VHF/UHF to satellite band transmissions. Radio-over-fibre range from PPM Systems is widely deployed in defence scenarios such as:
- Surveillance & signal intelligence (SigInt)
- Tactical radio links (VLF, HF, VHF, UHF, GSM, Tetra, P25)
- IED detection & force protection
- VSAT / satellite communications
- Sonar & communication buoys
- Secure network data centres (MSF/DCF, GPS, DVB-T, GSM, Tetra)
- OEM military equipment.
Rodent 4 Antenna Platform
The Rodent 4 antenna platform provides a convenient way to deploy signals intelligence (SIGINT) antennas over hundreds of metres, allowing personnel to remain at a safe distance from the targeted zone.
Wideband RF over fibre links are employed to transmit RF signals from the remote antenna platform back to receiving equipment. This receiving equipment can be mounted in a vehicle or can be dismounted. The Rodent 4 is typically deployed to the target zone using a remote controlled vehicle (RCV) but can also be hand-carried.
Tactical HQ Remote Antennas
In an application such as a Tactical HQ or Forward Operating Base (FOB), RF over fibre can be used to re-position communication antennas well outside the Tactical Area of Responsibility (TAOR). This provides the following benefits:
- Radio range improved from “hill top” located antenna
- Removes “co-site” antenna interference
- Electromagnetic stealth for HQ / FOB
- Encrypted radio assets remain within the TAOR
- Rapid field deployment
- Urban and over-the-hill coverage from Aerostat or Helikite mounted antennas
- Low signal loss, for operation from a few metres to 30km
- Man-portable equipment available, small and lightweight.
- RF system and Radio-over-Fibre design
- Ruggedised equipment including optical cable and connectivity
- Specialist antennas and probes
- Electromagnetically shielded equipment
- Urgent operational requirement (UOR) experience
- Rapid prototyping and short run production